The Normalize Breastfeeding in Bacolod campaign started by Mommy Sigrid was a finalist in the GMEA 2019.
Normalize Breastfeeding in Bacolod Campaign
Bacolod Mommy Blogger Sigrid has always been keen in using her online voice for her advocacy. One of her online campaigns is Normalize Breastfeeding in Bacolod. She started a Facebook page for this and since then, she has more than 2,000 followers.
- FB Page: Normalize Breastfeeding in Bacolod
The hashtag of this campaign is #NormalizeBreastfeedingBacolod
To encapsulate, the point of the campaign is to keep sharing photos of breastfeeding moms. As she continues to do this, she hopes that the campaign will make breastfeeding a welcome sight in our society.
While it’s natural for a mom to feed her baby from her breast, it is considered taboo to do this in public. In our twisted societal norms, it’s okay to flash boobies for Instagram, billboards, and magazines. But a breastfeeding mom in public is considered shameful.
- Related: My Beautiful Breastfeeding Portrait
This mentality happened during the time when so many working moms around the world resorted to bottle feeding. There are also those who could not produce breast milk or just find breastfeeding inconvenient. Bottle feeding is convenient, yes, and it has its advantages.
Eventually, however, breastfeeding took a back seat. If a mommy lets her baby latch in public, she gets scorned. The worst is when they are photographed and maligned in social media. It’s just atrocious!
Mommy Sigrid also had her fair share of bullying for her IG photo. Read her story here: Experiencing Breastfeeding Cyberbullying from a Fellow Mom
GMEA 2019 Finalist
The Globe Media Excellence Awards (GMEA) is sponsored and organized by Globe Telecom. It seeks to recognize outstanding media practitioners across all platforms. Those included in the awards are print, broadcast, and digital media.
Mommy Sigrid has won three GMEA awards in the past. Meanwhile, the Normalize Breastfeeding in Bacolod campaign is a finalist for the Social Media Advocacy of the Year. She is the only finalist in the digital category from Bacolod City.
For the grand awards night, Mommy Sigrid flew to Cebu City with her eldest daughter Shawna. It was held at Radisson Blu Cebu where they were also billeted for the night. This was also a great opportunity for a mom and daughter quality time while traveling.
- Related: Perseverance is Key to BREASTFEEDING
GMEA 2019 Complete List of Winners
- News Report of the Year for Print – Joey Gabieta (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Explanatory/lnvestigative Story/ Documentary of the Year for Print – Cherry Ann Lim (Sun.Star Cebu)
- News Report of the Year for Radio – Runelyn Jamolo (Radyo Pilipinas)
- Breaking News of the Year for Digital – Leo Udtohan (Philippine Daily Inquirer)
- Explanatory/lnvestigative Story of the Year for Digital – Rhick Lars Vladimer Albay (Rappler Move)
- Explanatory/lnvestigative Video Story of the Year for Digital – Charry Lane Coronel and Alex Badayos (Sun.Star Cebu)
- Photo of the Year for Digital – Alan Tangcawan (SuperBalita Cebu)
- Social Media Advocacy of the Year – Vernon Joseph Go (vernongo.com)
- Environment Story of the Year – Rhick Lars Vladimer Albay (Panay News)
- Editor of the Year – Cherry Ann Lim (Sun.Star Cebu)
- Newsmaker of the Year – Atty. Pachico A. Seares (Sun.Star Cebu)