There is no question that Seravallo’s Tonic is good for women’s health and many mothers believe that, too. However, it is especially recommended for women who just gave birth because of the blood loss they have experienced. So there is always the question about Serravallo’s Tonic for breastfeeding moms because of its alcohol content. I am not a doctor but a mom who has gone through with this treatment period after giving birth to my two daughters. Let’s try to answer this valid concern of many new mothers in this post.
Health Serravallo’s Tonic for Breastfeeding Moms
Serravallo’s Tonic is a famous product in Traditional Chinese Medicine founded in 1848. On its packaging, it says that it’s bark and iron wine made from the finest grapes in Italy. But pretty much every inscription is in Chinese because the primary market is the Chinese people around Asia.
To date, Serravallo’s Tonic is being distributed in Singapore, Hongkong, Malaysia, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
It’s a kind of healthy wine but it also has an alcohol content of 14.5%. It helps in the recovery of those who have experienced blood loss as well as those with anemia. Moreover, it helps improves the appetite of those who have weak bodies.
Here are the benefits of Seravallo’s Tonic for breastfeeding moms who just gave birth.
- Helps the woman’s body recover from the stress of pregnancy, labor, and eventually, childbirth.
- Releases stress and allows the mommy to get a restful sleep.
- If the mommy gets a restful sleep, she will have a good mood the next day and not be prone to post-partum depression.
- Gives energy during the day.
- Enables the body to replenish the blood supply that was lost during childbirth because of its high iron content.
The Chinese believe that our bodies can be either hot or cold. To maintain optimum health, there should be a balance of heat and cold. For a postpartum mother, her body is considered “cold”.
That is why her food is mostly cooked with lots of ginger (reported to increase body heat). Chocolates (heat) drink is also part of that diet.
Serravallo’s Tonic provides the body with a lot of heat, which is suitable for her to take. The drink also helps her body get rid of the “menstrual blood that has accumulated during her pregnancy.”
Moreover, the drink rejuvenates the red blood cells, which is crucial for her body to recover fast. Our red blood cells transport oxygen and nutrients to our entire body. These help form blood clots to prevent blood loss, which is why Serravallo’s is also good for anybody who has experienced blood loss, like from injuries or sickness.
What About the Alcohol Content?
Seravallo’s Tonic for breastfeeding moms is being frowned upon by many because of its alcohol content, which is 14.5%. It is quite high actually, compared to 13% of some wine brands.
For breastfeeding moms, it is best not to drink alcohol at all. However, a small amount like the recommended dosage is fine. Yes, I have to repeat, the breastfeeding mom has to take only the recommended dosage because this is a healthy tonic in wine form. That is exactly why it comes with its own serving cup.
General Rules for Drinking Serravallo’s Tonic for Breastfeeding Moms
Here are some rules to live by when taking alcohol while breastfeeding.
- The recommended dosage for a mom who just gave birth is 2 cups per day. It should be taken after meals. For those who underwent C-Section, they are advised to take up to 4 cups per day. Please refer to the chart below. (Source)
- Wait for at least 2 hours before nursing your child.
- The crucial period of healing for the new mom is the first month. You may discontinue your daily dose of Seravallo’s after 1 month and only take it as needed, like when your monthly period has resumed.
My Personal Testimony
I gave birth to our two daughters by C-Section. With Achi, I labored a lot outside the hospital and stayed in the Labor Room for 27 hours before I underwent emergency Caesarian Section procedure. I lost a lot of blood and endured so much physical pain during my first delivery, which was why Seravallo’s Tonic was recommended for me.
All in all, I have taken Serravallo’s Tonic for a month after giving birth to my two daughters. And I believe they have both turned out fine.
As long as the recommended dosage is followed and the mother has no pre-existing conditions that can worsen with alcohol, the mom will greatly benefit from this.