107 1 7
Peach Mango Ice Box Cake Recipe
Mango ice box cake is a well-loved, no-cook dessert here in the Philippines. It is very easy to make, ingredients are affordable, and it tastes so good. It’s refreshing, too, because it is frozen. And also, simply, because it has mangoes and Filipinos just love mangoes.
Note: A collaboration with Merzci Pasalubong
Mango Ice Box Cake Variant
Each family has its own recipe of mango ice box cake. How abundant the mango and how creamy it is depends on the budget of the one who made it. The flavors depend on the brands of the ingredients, too.
- New product: Merzci Special Banana Chips
But what is common among them is that, we usually use Graham crackers as crust. We either have the flat crackers or the crushed ones mixed with butter and sugar.
However, there are also other people who would rather use brojas for the crust. It is light, kinda sweet, and absorbs a lot of the moisture. But the results is a rather soft (despite frozen) and textured mango ice box cake, like you used sponge cake.
I am working with Merzci Pasalubong Broas for this yummy dessert.
The recipe I am sharing below has average sweetness. I made this for our Sunday lunch family dessert. Our family tries to control sugar intake, hence the reduced sweetness. Additionally, I did not only use mango but I threw in some peaches into the mixture as well.
Peach Mango Ice Box Recipe
Do include this refrigerator cake as a dessert for your noche buena feast this Christmas!
- 2 packs Merzci Pasalubong Brojas
- 2 ripe mangoes, pureed
- 1 bottle Arla cheesy spread
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 boxes all-purpose cream
- 1 can peach halves
- 1 ripe mango, for garnish
- Line the bottom of a rectangular Pyrex dish with Merzci Pasalubong Brojas. You may dip the bottom side in the peach syrup so that brojas will remain at the bottom and not float towards the surface. It will also add to the sweetness.
- Mix the mango puree, Arla cheese spread, condensed milk, cream, and vanilla. If you want this mango ice box cake to be sweeter, add another half a can of condensed milk.
- Chop 6 peach halves. Mix into the cream mixture. The cream mixture now has a wonderful yellow color.
- Pour 3/4 of the cream mixture over the first layer of broajas. Line the cream with another layer of brojas, making them “float” over the cream mixture.
- Spread the rest of the cream mixture over the brojas. Slice the remaining peach halves and some mangoes for topping. Arrange them nicely for garnish or just chop them all and spread on top.
- Pop in the freezer for at least three hours before serving.
- Before serving, allow the ice box cake to thaw for at least 10 minutes to make it easier to slice. You may also dip your knife in hot water before slicing. Keep dipping as you keep slicing.
Can I Use Graham Crackers?
Graham crackers are the most famous base for mango ice box cake. They are affordable and available in supermarkets nationwide. So, can you use graham crackers instead?
Sure you can use graham crackers.
But why did I use brojas or lady fingers by Merzci and not graham crackers in this refrigerator cake recipe? That is because graham crackers have their own distinct taste and smell. If you use them, they will grab the attention from the combined flavors of peach and mango.
On the other hand, brojas is light and has a creamy consistency. I wanted the fruity flavors to stand out in this dessert recipe, which is why I preferred the soft yet light taste of brojas. The texture is different, too. Try it!
Do you like this Filipino dessert, too? Share your story in the comments below. Do share your experience with making peach mango ice box cake as well. 😀
Other Bacolod Pasalubong stories:
Meanwhile, other Merzci Pasalubong stories you might like to read. Just click on any of the links below.
- Piaya by Merzci Pasalubong
- Merzci Pasalubong Napoleones
- Merzci Pasalubong Butterscotch
- Crunchy Biscocho by Merzci Pasalubong
- Yummy Mango Tart by Merzci Pasalubong
- Merzci Pasalubong Caramel Tart
- Merzci Pasalubong Assorted Barquillitos
- Puleras by Merzci Pasalubong
- Merzci Pasalubong Cheese Tart
107 1 7