In celebration of our favorite Shepherd’s Pie, here’s an inspired dish using seafood. Try making this creamy baked scallops with sliced potato at home. It’s another interesting twist to your usual fare that will surely be appreciated during your family meal.
Here in Bacolod City, it is commonplace to find fish vendors who roam the streets selling seafood. Part of their seafood offerings are some shelled scallops. Or you may find these sold by cups at the wet market.
These scallops are the small ones and are not qualified to sell on the half-shell, ike the ones you would find in Bacolod restaurants. They are called sub-standard. And of course, these are much cheaper and each cup is filled with lots of these small pieces.
Creamy Baked Scallops with Sliced Potato Recipe
- 1 medium potato, peeled and sliced thinly
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Powdered seasoning
- Black pepper
- Dash of oregano
- Dash of red pepper
- Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. softened butter
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 box all purpose cream
- 2 cups shelled scallops, drained well
- 1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2. Lightly grease a pie plate and arrange the thinly sliced potatoes at the bottom.
- 3. Mix all the rest of the ingredients except for the scallops. Make sure that you dissolve the flour thoroughly.
- 4. Spoon some of the white sauce over the potato slices, coating them thinly to give it flavor. You may rub some salt into the potatoes. Make sure you don’t put too much because the cheese and scallops already have salt.
- 5. Spread the drained scallops over the potatoes.
- 6. Top with the rest of the white sauce, making sure that the entire plate is covered.
- 7. Bake in the over for about 25 minutes, or until the top has formed a brown film. Serve hot.
You may omit some of the herbs if you don’t have them. But I find that the mixture of oregano and rice wine vinegar is effective in removing the “fishiness” of the seafood. Try this combination on fish dishes, too.
Other Recipes You May Want to Try Cooking
- Chinese Birthday Misua Recipe
- Easy Boneless Lechon Belly Recipe
- Two Easy Balut Recipes
- Mildly Spicy Crab Maritess Recipe
- Osso Buco Recipe
- Baked 40-Clove Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Crab Fat Recipes
- Creamy Peach Mango Ice Box Cake Recipe with Broas
- Shrimp Etouffee Recipe
Follow Lovingly Mama on social media: