- Related: DIY Home Remedy for Stiff Fingers
Why Moms Stay at Home
In the 90s, moms were more on building their careers. They also use their salaries to help augment the family income. When moms earn, the family can usually send the kids to private schools and also afford family vacations. They could not afford these luxuries if there was only one source of income.
In a middle-income household, the home is then managed on a day-to-day basis by an overall helper. The kids have their babysitter or two. Sometimes, a driver is hired to bring kids to school and do errands to the supermarket with the helper.
Some of the reasons why moms have left the career path because they:
- are missing their children’s milestones and growing up years
- miss most of their children’s special school events
- can better nurture and guide their children
- can correct wrong behavior and teach them good values
- are realizing that they can save on expenses if they stay at home and take care of the household
- can spend more family meal times together before the children become teenagers
- have the option to supervise their children if they choose homeschooling
- have husbands are working abroad or somewhere else so they realized that having one parent at home is better
- are happier and more fulfilled when spending time with the kids
- can can create happy family traditions that they can cherish years later
Changing Mommy Career Trends
Eventually, the career trend for working moms changed. Mothers may have started realizing some things related to raising a family. They now prefer to stay at home and take care of the kids as well as manage their household.
For one, they save on expenses for the salaries and consumables of household help and babysitters. And the best part is, they can personally oversee their household and family affairs. They are also present when their husbands come home from work. Some women put a value on this–so to each her own.
But times are hard. Rates of inflation are rising and moms know that she needs to manage the family budget wisely. She also needs some side hustle in order to bring another source of income for the family.
- Related: Mommy Tipid Tips to Beat Inflation
The Rise of Work at Home Moms
Meanwhile, aside from cutting corners, more mommies realized that they have some spare time on their hands. They have decided to use this time to work on online jobs that could bring in another income stream to the household. It can be a part-time or a full-time job (with flexi-time), but the appeal of working at home as freelancers is too irresistible for the modern mom.
They have decided to use their skills for online jobs that suit their personality, lifestyle, and availability. Thankfully, the digital job market has so many options for the Pinay mommy who wants to make extra money. All they need is a good computer and a reliable internet connection in order to find a good job or clients online either as a virtual assistant or through any other digital-based job. Plus, nowadays, thanks to the wide range of internet service providers out there, getting a reliable internet connection has never been easier – simply researching earthlink internet and other similar packages online is all it takes.
Online Jobs Available for Moms
There are so many online jobs that work-at-home moms can take on, depending on their skills. Some job requirements need experience, but other employers are willing to train.
Here are some online jobs that moms can check:
- 1. Content Writer
- 2. Online Tutor
- 3. Software and App Tester (e.g. utest.com)
- 4. Virtual Assistant
- 5. Transcriptionist
- 6. Data Entry/ Researcher
- 7. Talent Acquistion/ Online Recruiter (not networking)
- 8. Survey Respondent (pays really low but can be used for extra money)
- 9. Blogger for companies that need content
But of course, as we work at home, we need to increase the circulation of our blood, especially our legs. A lot of times, we get engrossed with work that we forget to move around, thereby causing swelling or edema. Remember to do your stretches throughout the day.
You may also choose to wear compression pantyhose.
Negros Online Workers
In Bacolod City, a team of online professionals has worked together to help out those who want to work online. They share job opportunities as well as tips on how to land a job. Most especially, they share tips on how to properly negotiate for a fair pay rate.
If you need help starting your online career, follow Negros Online Workers on Facebook. It was started by Ma. Clarice Lao-Itumay, a seasoned online content writer and virtual assistant. She has several years of experience in the online job market and she is generously sharing her knowledge and expertise. You can message her directly through the FB page.