22 4 10
Women are more likely to experience depression. There’s hormonal imbalance, pre-menstrual syndrome, post-natal stress, and the like that causes it. One depression therapy that you can look into is baking cookies.
Depression in Women
As women, depression can be an ugly presence. There are just times when we feel like we are down in the dumps. Sometimes, it’s PMS or sometimes, it’s during the time of the month. Sometimes, it’s the full moon. For others, it’s SAD–seasonal affective disorder.
Whatever the reason, there are times that we feel melancholia creeping up and we feel helpless. It may not be chronic, but it’s there from time to time, disrupting our daily routines, and it takes very little to set it off.
A few months back, I had an episode. There was a trigger and couldn’t stop crying. Despite being very understanding, my husband was already getting fed up with my whining and bad temper. I knew I had to snap out of it because I have two kids looking up to me.
I went to the kitchen and checked the cupboard for the things that I will need. There I found that I have enough to make Oatmeal Cookies. But this time, I wanted a twist because I had some chopped cashew nuts. Immediately, I started working.
It was only 2:30pm and I thought I had enough time to make it before our usual 4pm afternoon snack. And so I did.
Here’s my easy oatmeal recipe that you can try.
Oatmeal Cashew Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups instant oats
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 3/4 cups chopped cashew nuts
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- 2. Mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- 3. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet bowl, stirring each time. Mix well.
- 4. Grease your cookie sheets.
- 5. Place a heaped teaspoon of cookie batter on the pans, spacing them about 2 inches apart
- 6. Flatten the balls using a spoon.
- 7. Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until you see it turning caramel brown. I like our oatmeal cookies in this color because when they cool, they become crisp.
- 8. Remove from the pan immediately and let them cool on wire racks completely before storing in cookie jars. If they are still hot, moisture will form and the cookies won’t remain crisp.
This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.
The Depression Therapy of Baking Cookies
While baking in the sweltering afternoon heat, I was sweating profusely. I think that picked up my mood. When the cookies started baking, the wonderful aroma filled the kitchen and even the living room. And oh, I think that the natural oils in the cashew also helps in lifting up the mood.
Needless to say, it was comforting. No wonder aromatherapy with essential oils works because what we smell affects our moods. It seemed that the cloud that was making my day dreary was finally lifting.
Fighting for a Happier Life
Sometimes, we just have to fight off these feelings by being productive. Baking cookies may be good for those who happen to be visited by depression from time to time.
If you are already on medication, I will not advice to skip it but rather you augment it by doing things that you love. You can do gardening, cross-stitching, painting, baking, or even dancing.
Whatever you fancy, do it. It would also be nice to get your body to perspire to get your body to produce those happy hormones and chase the blues away.
22 4 10