80 2 85
Do you like shabu-shabu? Then make this simple DIY Shabu-shabu hot pot recipe. The preparation process can be quite tedious but the rewards outweigh the work.
Shabu-Shabu Hot Pot at Home
Being a Filipino-Chinese family, my in-laws have always prepared the hot pot at home. My husband recalls that they would usually do it on Sundays, when our store is closed. He said that it’s so much fun to cook your own food in the communal hot pot and fish out the ingredients you like using chopsticks.
When my husband grew older, he laments that my mother-in-law no longer had the time nor energy to prepare the hot pot. While we do eat in hot pot restaurants, he misses having it at home. Sharing the hot pot is a fun family meal time activity.
- Related: Why Family Meals are Important
That’s because, although easy to cook, the shabu-shabu has so many raw ingredients. Preparing them costs quite a lot and takes a lot of time to slice and all.
But now that the kids are bigger, I have taken over in the kitchen. From time to time, I would indulge the family with my own brand of homecooking. It is also kind of a cultural experience for our homeschooling kids, being exposed to another cuisine.
- Related: Making Mama Happy
I just don’t do it everyday, though, because I also have work. Cooking is more like a hobby for me and when I do get my hands dirty, I usually whip up a storm in the kitchen. Cooking makes me happy, it’s therapeutic for me.
Why do We Like Shabu-Shabu
Hubby and I both like the shabu-shabu hot pot for so many reasons. The soup, made of chicken and pork broth, is very comforting. We also like the frozen Chinese seafood or meat balls as well as the thin slices of pork and beef. We get ours from Lion Frozen Products (contact information below).
Additionally, the Chinese barbecue dipping sauce is really very satisfying. It seems that the shabu-shabu meal is not complete with this sauce mixture.
WATCH: A full hot pot separate table is boiling in our dining room.
- Related: Suaje on the Rocks Recipe
DIY Shabu-Shabu Hot Pot Recipe
Shabu-Shabu is a hot pot of soup. You can actually add anything you like. The basics are meats, seafood, vegetables, and of course, those Chinese meat balls and fish balls. Or seafood balls. You would be happy to know that there is a shabu-shabu pack that contains an assortment of these in a variety of interesting shapes and colors. 🙂
- Cooking oil
- Garlic and onions, chopped
- Chicken and pork bones, for the stock
- Water for the broth
- Salt and pepper
- Lee Kum Kee Chicken Soup Base
- Beef, sukiyaki or yakiniku slices
- Pork, sliced thinly
- Shrimps or prawns
- Assorted vegetables (cabbage, Chinese pechay, carrots)
- Sweet corn on the cob, sliced
- Potatoes (optional)
- Different kinds of mushrooms (except shiitake)
- Onions and spring onions
Dipping Sauce ingredients:
- Chinese Barbecue Sauce (available at Hua Kong Chinese Drugstore)
- Sliced spring onions
- Sliced chili
- Egg yolk
- Chili oil (optional)
- Soy sauce or teriyaki sauce
- Vinegar or Balsamic vinegar
- In a big pot, saute the garlic and onion in oil. Add the chicken and pork bones. Stir-fry until they are no longer pink. Pour in water, cover, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes. The longer it stays there, the better.
- Transfer the broth in the hot pot and add the aromatic vegetables like carrots, corn, and onions. Let it boil for a while. Do this before the meal.
- Season with the Lee Kum Kee soup base. Adjust the seasonings.
- When everybody is ready to eat, make sure that the broth is boiling. Then everybody puts the ingredients they like into the broth and fish them out when they are done.
- Dip the meat, seafood, fish balls, and meat balls in the special dipping sauce. Makes it tastier!
Enjoy your DIY shabu-shabu hot pot recipe at home!
Hot Pot Ingredients in Bacolod
In Bacolod City, you can source out frozen meat balls and seafood balls from Lion Frozen Products. Send them a message for your orders:
- FB Page: LionFrozenProducts
- Mobile: 0928-5519951 | 0923-0813530
Other recipes you might like to try at home:
- Cha Misua | Chinese Birthday Misua Recipe
- Easy Boneless Lechon Belly Recipe for the Family
- Balut Recipes for the Craving Mama
- Kitchen Hack: Baked 40-Clove Garlic Chicken Recipe (Modified)
- Cooking with Crab Fat Paste (Aligue)
- Creamy Baked Scallops with with Sliced Potato Recipe
Read Similar Posts:
80 2 85