Abanse Negrense, a seven-point development agenda of Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson, highlights education as one of its priorities. In keeping with this vision, the office of the Governor announces its partnership with Mapúa Malayan Digital College (MMDC) with the Abanse Negrense Business and IT Scholarship. The best news is, Abanse Negrense Scholarship is going to award 100 scholarships Mapua Malayan Digital College Bacolod students.
The Abanse Negrense Scholarship
The scholarship equips 100 deserving students from Negros Occidental with free education from MMDC, with a choice of majors that could eventually pave the way for in-demand careers. “Education is a vehicle for employment and a tool for social mobility. It is vital for this administration to strengthen its educational policies,” notes Governor Lacson.
Mapúa Malayan Digital College is a digital-first college with two majors, and six specializations. For those taking the Information Technology (IT) program, they can choose from Network and Cybersecurity, Data Analytics, and Software Development.
For those taking the Business Administration (BA) program, they can choose from Marketing Management, Human Resources Management, and Operations Management. “We chose the specializations based on industry research–we wanted to equip our graduates with both the technical skills, as well as the soft skills needed by companies today. These include critical thinking, analytical thinking, creativity, strategy, leadership, and more,” according to Derrick Latreille, Chief Learning Officer of MMDC.
Qualifications and Applications Process
While tuition fees are as low as PHP15,000 per trimester, the Abanse Negrense Scholarship allows qualified students to enjoy a full scholarship on matriculation fees for their entire stay at MMDC. The scholarship is open to residents of Negros Occidental province, except Bacolod; who must be an incoming college freshman student, with a high school report card; and must be willing to render volunteer work for the Provincial Government of Occidental.
- Proof of Negros Occidental Residency, for example:
- Barangay Certificate
- Applicant’s Personal ID
- Grade 12 or High School Report Card / Form 138 indicating “Eligible to transfer to 1st year college”
- PSA Birth Certificate
- Good moral character
- Government Issued IDs of Parents
- 1.5X 1.5 ID Photo with white background
- MMDC waiver forms
After submitting documents, the student must then pass the MMDC Online Readiness Assessment.
The deadline for the application and submission of documents is August 5, 2022.
Maintenance of Scholarship
The scholarship is valid for the entire duration of the student’s stay at MMDC. The student is expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Maintain a TWA (Term Weighted Average) of 2.50 per term or better, with no failing grade or dropped subject.
- Maintain a full load per term during his/her studies
- Complete all requirements of the study within the period specified
- Follow the rules and regulations of the school where he/she is enrolled
- Must not have been subject to any disciplinary action by the school
- Render one-year volunteer work to the Provincial Government of Negros Occidental.
- Attend meetings, general assemblies, training, and other activities intended for the scholars as required by the Scholarship Program Division.
With the Abanse Negrense Scholarship for Business and IT, both the office of Governor Lacson, as well as MMDC, hope to provide quality education to deserving students, further empowering them to go places with Mapúan academic excellence.
To begin the application process, visit www.mmdc.mcl.edu.ph.