A mac and cheese recipe is a staple for every family. It is the ultimate treat as well as comfort food, or the go-to food when mom is too tired to cook after a long day at work. Here is one that I recently made. This mac and cheese recipe is not only fun but comforting as well. Try ginwith your kids, too.
Comfort Food for a Sick Kid
In this pandemic life, moms like me can get paranoid over the littlest sniffles. Though we all don’t have asthma, we have allergic rhinitis that runs in the family. We live in the city and now that summer is making itself felt, it is just very hot. The sudden hot weather, coupled with the construction dust in developments around us, is making our allergies act up.
One day, Papa and Siobe Shane suddenly sneezed. While Shane’s sneezing and runny nose stopped, she did feel kind of under the weather. She lost her appetite, too.
So Mom goes to the rescue with her favorite comfort food that she can easily eat. The first night, I prepared arroz caldo. The hot yellow porridge we call arroz caldo is very comforting and the go-to food for sick people who have colds, fever, and the like. It is tasty, easy to prepare, and also easy to eat.
The most important this is, it is rich in therapeutic culinary herbs like turmeric, ginger, green onions, and lemongrass. It is so aromatic and rich!
Mac and Cheese Recipe
The next day Shane is already bubbly and all, but her usual appetite is not yet back. So I prepared another favorite food: mac and cheese. But this mac and cheese recipe is unlike any other that I have prepared before. It had to be more special so that our little girl will eat. Plus, it is made more flavorful and aromatic with bacon. Sharing the recipe here. By the way, I only used by new Hanabishi Oven Toaster to bake this.
- 100 grams bacon, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 can mushroom soup
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese or 3 Tbsps. cheese spread
- Dried basil leaves
- 300 grams colored macaroni, cooked al dente
- Slices of mozzarella cheese or just grated quickmelt cheese for toppings
- 1. If you are using an electric oven, then ppreheat oven to 200°C.
- 2. Render the bacon fat by cooking the bacon slices in a non-stick pot without oil.
- 3. When the bacon’s edges have turned brown, stir in the garlic, onions, and butter. Mix and cook for a minute then pour in the mushroom soup, water, evaporated milk, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil.
- 4. Carefully stir in the macaroni and turn off the heat.
- 5. Transfer the cooked macaroni to a baking tin. Spread them out and top with slices of mozzarella cheese.
- 6. Bake for 10 minutes until the mozzarella cheese melts and spreads out to cover the top.
Serve hot with buttered toast.
Shane was so excited because the mac and cheese smelled really good. While she did not really finish the entire serving I gave her, she ate quite a lot so Mama was successful!
Cooking Tip: By the way, if you don’t have an oven, grate the mozzarella cheese on top. The heat from the cooked macaroni should be enough to melt the cheese.