I love the Pinoy dish kare-kare but I have not really cooked it at home. That is because its price in restaurants makes me think that it’s tedious to make. But I discovered that it isn’t so I am sharing with you how I prepared it, along with some cooking tips. Here is my easy pork leg kare-kare recipe that you can also try at home.
Pork Leg Kare-Kare Recipe
Preparing this kare-kare recipe may be divided into 3 parts: cooking the pork, preparing the sauce, and steaming the vegetables. It only needs a few ingredients, a number of which you can just grab from the ones you usually have at home.
One very important ingredient that should not be skipped is the peanut butter for the kare-kare sauce. I use the homemade peanut butter that a friend makes because I am sure that it is made of pure peanuts and doesn’t have extenders.
- 1 Pata front (front pork hock), sliced and blanched
- Garlic, sliced onions, ginger, green onions, bay leaf, salt and pepper for boiling
- At least 6 cups water for boiling
- 1/4 cup glutinous rice flour, toasted
- Anato oil (recipe here)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 pc chili
- Salt and pepper
- Shrimp paste (bagoong)
Assorted Fresh Vegetables
- Eggplants, sliced
- Small mustard greens,
- String beans, sliced
- Green onions
1. Clean and blanch the pork in boiling water. Discard the water.
2. Boil water in a deep pot together with the aromatic vegetables, salt, and pepper. Tenderize the pork hocks here by boiling for at least an hour (20-30 minutes with a pressure cooker). Set aside.
3. In a pan, lightly toast the glutinous rice flour, moving it around constantly to prevent burning. Do this until the flour turns a bit brown. Mix in the anato oil.
4. Pour in about 5 cups of the pork broth and mix in the peanut butter. Bring to a boil and add the pork slices. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for several minutes until thick.
For a tastier kare-kare, add some fish sauce into the mix.
5. In a steamer, arrange the sliced vegetables and bring water to a boil. Steam the vegetables, covered, for 5 minutes.
6. Serve the kare-kare with steamed vegetables and shrimp paste on the side.
You will surely impress the family with this kare-kare recipe and you did it without much effort! Let me know how it turns out for you.