In the wake of the covid-19 pandemic, many Filipinos are rallying up behind frontliners. These are the medical professionals, hospital staff, policemen, and even firefighters who remain steadfast in the service of the community. We usually give soup to those who work hard in order to warm their tummies and liven up their spirits. Here is a special arroz caldo recipe to give your soup dish a touch of love and lots of flavor.
Helping in Whatever Way
The best thing that we can help our frontliners with is to stay at home. Don’t go out if you don’t need to to avoid contracting or spreading covid-19. Please, please, don’t just hang out with your friends and follow the curfew. There’s no social distancing in prison.
If you are bored, here are some activities that you can do with kids during home quarantine.
There are many people who are raising funds to help community workers as well as the underprivileged. Take part in that but be careful. Wear your face masks and wash hands frequently. Practice social distancing.
If you want to prepare food from your own kitchen, practice cleanliness and sanitation. Here is a special arroz caldo recipe that our community helpers as well as your family will love.
Special Arroz Caldo Recipe
Learn my secret why my arroz caldo recipe is very flavorful. The combination of seasonings really livened up this dish.
- Cooking oil
- Garlic, chopped
- Onion, chopped
- Ginger, sliced and pounded, about 5 Tbsps.
- Chicken, preferably the bony parts, sliced
- Salt, pepper, to taste
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Lee Kum Kee Soup Base for Chicken Hot Pot
- Turmeric (luyang dilaw)
- Cooked Rice (about 5 cups)
- Egg, beaten
- Boiled eggs
- Toasted chopped garlic and sliced green onions
- Heat the cooking oil and saute the garlic, onion, and ginger. Just stir-fry for a minute. Do not burn.
- Stir in the chicken slices and season with salt and pepper. Cook, while stirring occasionally, until the chicken meat has turned opaque.
- Add water that’s about twice as much as your cooked rice (approx 12 cups). Season with about 2 Tbsps. fish soup and a whole pack of the Lee Lum Kee Soup Base.
- Check the seasoning if it’s enough. If not, add salt. You may need to add more hot water to cook the rice. If the soup does not have the “kick” you want, add ginger and a bit of turmeric.
- Cook until the rice has expanded and the soup is sticky.
- Put an egg into a bowl and add the arroz caldo. Top with toasted garlic and green onions. Serve hot.
- If you are going to give your arroz caldo away in cups to our frontliners, you will have to add more water. As the time passes, the rice will absorb more of the soup and will become sticky.
It is the Lee Kum Kee Soup Base for Chicken Hot Pot that gave the arroz caldo a special rich flavor. If you can remember, I have shared a recipe of the DIY Shabu-shabu hot pot. I used the same soup base for this arroz caldo.
Moreover,the fish sauce gave it the extra oomph.
Why Arroz Caldo is Good for Our Community Helpers
Our community helpers are working more than eight hours. Some are even working overnight. It is nice to be comforted with a bowl of hot comfort food during these times.
Arroz caldo is exceptional because it is already a complete meal with rice, egg, and chicken. It contains the goodness of ginger and turmeric–two of the most powerful and healthful culinary herbs that we have.
More importantly, it is very flavorful and aromatic. It is so easy to make and there’s a very slim chance of making a mistake.
Pray for Our Community Helpers
As we comfortably sleep tonight in our homes, please say a prayer for our community helpers. They are also longing for home but they are fighting this war on the frontlines. Please pray for protection, wisdom, as well as provision for them.
Our country is running out of medical supplies like masks, goggles, and other protective gear. If you can help out, please do.
Additionally, do not panic. Panicking and worrying is not going to help us. Be calm and stay at home. And lastly, pray that God will protect us all.
Stay healthy, too, by eating nutritious foods, taking supplements, exercise, and exposure to sunlight. Lastly, keep the air inside your home clean and healthy. Read this: Improve the Air Quality in Your Home